Crispy, oven baked BBQ potato chips seasoned with smoked paprika, chili powder, chipotle and coconut sugar.
I’m a pretty big fan of snacking, especially salty foods. I remember being a kid, whenever we rented a movie, we would always get two bags of chips, usually Ketchup and BBQ, because those were the only two flavors that mattered. This must be why I always want something salty whenever I watch a movie. Thanks a lot, Lays, for brainwashing my fragile mind at the age of seven.
The good news is, you can make your own quite easily, and the spice mix can be adjusted to your taste. If you don’t want it too hot or smokey, you can reduce/eliminate the smoked paprika and replace with regular paprika. The spice mix itself would also be a great meat rub, tofu marinade or used on any other vegetables.
These are actually a lot less work than you might expect. There are different techniques you can use that can add on more time. You can par boil the potatoes before baking or frying them to keep them lighter in color, but it’s not entirely necessary. If you just want to make chips and eat them, then feel free to skip that and follow the recipe as listed below.
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- ¼ cup Canola or Sunflower Oil
- ¼ + ⅛ cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ¼ tsp Chipotle
- Slice potatoes on mandoline to about 1/10″ thick. Place in a bowl of water for an hour.
- Meanwhile, mix all of your spices and arroworoot together and set aside.
- After potatoes have been soaked, drain, rinse, and pat as dry as possible using a clean dish towel or paper towels.
- Heat your oven 400°F. Toss potatoes with the oil and spices. Line baking sheets with foil, then brush with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the baking sheets. Don’t overlap them. Bake around 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep an eye on them while cooking. They should be golden brown and start to crisp at the end of cooking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. They'll crisp up more as they cool off.
- Season with more salt after cooking if desired. Coarse salt is a nice touch.