Turn your leftover rice into fried rice with this authentic tasting recipe.
Fried rice is one of my favorite things to make at home because:
1) I always make way too much rice at once, causing me to have an abundance of leftover rice sitting in the fridge,
2) I tend to always have a plethora of vegetables at various stages of ripeness that need to be used up,
3) It’s so simple and filling.
For fried rice, it’s best to use leftover rice from the fridge as opposed to hot, just cooked rice. The extra moisture can cause a sticky, gooey mess, and doesn’t fry properly. When it sits in the fridge overnight, it dries out and the grains separate more easily.
My favorite rice to use is jasmine rice, but I’ve also had great success with long grain brown rice. I believe most varieties will work out, except maybe sushi rice or glutinous rice. A wok is ideal for this dish, but a large, deep pan will do the trick.
If you’re like me and have random vegetables going bad in your fridge, feel free to make substitutions and create your own version. This is just a guideline. Have fun and happy cooking!
- 4 cups Cooked Rice
- 1-2 cups cooked shredded Chicken
- 1 ½ cups Onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Carrots, grated
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup Red Pepper, sliced
- ½ cup Green Onion, small dice
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tsp Coconut Sugar
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 1 ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 Eggs (optional)
- Heat the pan over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. If using eggs, scramble them in the pan until just done, not overcooked, then remove and set aside
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and cook the onions until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook 4-5 more minutes.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and red pepper and cook until tender crisp. While the veg is cooking, break up the rice with your hands before adding it to the pan.
- Spread the rice out in the pan. Let it sit for a minute, then toss it and spread it out again, allowing it to heat all the way through.
- Add your cooked chicken, eggs, green onion and season with remaining ingredients. Toss it again to make sure the rice is well coated. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.