Today is July first, and for those of us in Canada enjoying a day off, we know it better as Canada Day. And nothing is more Canadian than an egg sandwich, right? Okay, busted. That’s not true at all. I didn’t actually prepare any “Canadian food” for a blog post today. But, in my defense, I rarely know what day it is. And besides, you’re probably tired of seeing red and white everything right about now.
While you’re out eating red and white cake today and drinking maple flavored cocktails, you should prepare yourself for your upcoming hangover tomorrow. And what’s the best hangover cure? This sandwich. (See how I made this recipe relate to Canada Day all of a sudden). Bacon lovers, feel free to add a few pieces of the salty meat strips to the sandwich, but it is pretty great as is for non bacon lovers.
There’s so many different aspects of this sandwich, from the creaminess of the goat cheese to the sweetness of the red peppers to the sharp, peppery flavor of the arugula. It’s one flavorful combination. And for those who eat gluten free, you have that option here. Just use your favorite bread and follow the recipe.
- 4 Slices of Bread
- 1 small Red Pepper
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Goat Cheese
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Handful of Arugula mixed with Olive Oil, Lemon, S&P
- Coconut Oil
- Begin by cutting the red pepper in half and removing the stem and seeds.Place on baking sheet and brush with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast in a 450° F oven for 25-30 minutes or until the skin has blackened. Remove from the oven. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, and cut into strips. You can also use store bought roasted peppers if you want to save on time.
- Heat a non stick pan with 1 Tbsp of oil to med-high heat. Add the eggs. Cook your eggs how you like them. My favorite method is to tilt the pan towards me so the eggs sit in the oil like they're being deep fried, then spoon the hot oil over top of the eggs. It creates a perfect crispy, over easy egg.
- While you're cooking your eggs, toast the bread. Then mix a handful of arugula, a splash of lemon juice and olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Begin assembling your sandwich. Spread coconut oil on each piece. Spread goat cheese on one half and mustard on the other. Place the seasoned arugula on one half with the egg. Then place 1/2 of the red pepper slices and 1/4 sliced avocado on the other half. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Close up the sandwich, cut in half and dive in. Makes 2 sandwiches.