Everybody break out your spoons and whipped cream because today is National Banana Split Day. It’s better than Christmas, really.
Banana splits were always a rare occurrence for me as a child. A scoop of ice cream? Sure, that was a regular thing, but two or dare I say……THREE scoops of ice cream, now that was pretty special. You can imagine my delight when a banana split would enter my line of vision. They came around far less often than a birthday cake.
But now, I’m an adult, and I can do whatever I damn well please, kind of like a cat. Okay, I definitely can’t get away with as much as a cat can. Those little fur-balls are up to no good, I tell you what. (Try not to read that sentence as Hank Hill. Impossible, right?)
This banana split is a bit different, and way more delicious than your average split. Caramelizing the bananas adds another dimension of flavor, and the soft texture melts in your mouth.
It’s delicious when still warm, mixed with the cold ice cream, or you can let it cool off completely before assembling. This is your banana split after all, so you’re in charge of all aspects. Be creative, add your own twist, impress your friends with this gourmet style dessert you’d order in a restaurant. And, most of all, happy eating!
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ⅛ cup crushed Peanuts
- 2 Squares Dark Chocolate (about 25g)
- (Dairy Free)Vanilla Ice Cream or this Homemade Maple Pecan
- Chopped Chocolate, fresh Cherries and Coconut to garnish
- Slice a banana in half length wise.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stove with half of the coconut sugar. Add the banana halves and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top. Fry on medium high heat for 2 minutes. Tilt the pan so the oil pools in the corner and use a spoon to scoop it up on pour on top of the banana.
- Flip the banana halves and cook another 2 minutes and shut off the heat.
- Assemble your split by placing the banana halves on a plate or bowl.
- Place desired amount of scoops of ice cream on top. Melt the squares of chocolate. (You can use the same pan the bananas were in to dirty less dishes)
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, chopped chocolate, coconut, cherries or whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!
- Use any kind of ice cream you wish. Don't feel completely bound to the recipe.