I’ve been having a love affair with lemongrass lately. One of the many benefits of cooking with it, is that the smell immediately takes over the whole house with its fresh, citrusy scent. It’s kind of like a natural air freshener. I love the smell so much, I’ve even gone as far as buying a deodorant with chunks of lemongrass in it.
Earlier this year I posted a lemongrass ginger tea, which I love and still drink on a regular basis. The flavor combination is so appealing, I thought it’d be nice to have an edible version of it. Combine that with my love of coconut milk and simple side dishes, and violà, this lovely coconut rice was born.
This rice pairs well with Asian flavors, like a Thai chicken dish, green and red curries, or a simple tofu stir fry. There are many possibilities out there waiting for you. Happy cooking! Enjoy!
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 1 (400ml) can Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 Lemongrass stalk
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tsp Ginger Root, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- Place your rice in a fine mesh sieve and rinse the rice until the water runs clear. It will take a minute or two. ( You can also rinse it in a pot and pour out the water while holding the lid tightly.)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a gentle boil. Give the rice a stir. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the lemongrass and cinnamon stick. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.