Take your chocolate chip cookie to the next level with these dark chocolate covered almond cookies. Soft and chewy cookies with chunks of chocolate almonds.
Ahhh, the chocolate chip cookie. It’s one of the life’s simplest pleasures. Everyone has their favorite chocolate chip cookie. Whether it’s Grandma’s soft and chewy cookies, Mom’s double chocolate cookie recipe, or the cafe down the street that definitely uses a top secret ingredient that you can’t quite put your finger on. It’s a dessert that can’t be beat.
I remember as a kid, my mom would sometimes bake cookies with Smarties or M&M’s in them. It wasn’t until recently, when I reflecting back on those days and those cookies, that I thought, “I wonder if she ever used chocolate covered peanut M&M’s, or even just chocolate peanuts.” The tiny little light bulb in my dusty brain flicked on, and I grabbed a pen and paper and created a rough recipe and got started on the first trial right away.
These cookies are my new favorite cookie, ever. Sorry, Dark Chocolate & Fennel Seed Cookies, you’ve been replaced, but you still hold a special place in my heart and my stomach.
You can make your own chocolate almonds, simply by melting chocolate and dipping your nuts (hehe) in the chocolate. I recommend dipping them a few times to get a thicker coat of chocolate, just so you get more chocolate in your cookies. I’m looking out for your best interest here.
You can, of course, skip all that and go straight for store bought. I ended up doing that after the second time I made these because they were getting eaten too fast and it wasn’t worth the hassle to keep dipping almonds in chocolate.
Happy baking and happy eating! 🙂
- 1 cup (150g) GF All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup (120g) Coconut Sugar
- ½ cup (80g) Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Almond Butter
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed + 6 Tbsp Warm Water
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Begin by heating the oven to 350°F. Then prepare your flax eggs by combining the ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Roughly chop your chocolate almonds and combine all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stove or microwave. Whisk melted oil, almond butter, vanilla and the flax eggs together until incorporated. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion the cookies out on a lined baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes. Cookies will be soft when you remove them from the oven. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes.
- *I used Bob's Red Mill Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour