I don’t think I’ve been more excited about a recipe as I am with this one. Okay, maybe I have, but it’s hard to relive past excitement in my mind. Let’s just say, I’m pretty damn proud of these jerk tofu tacos.
This idea has been on my (very long) recipe idea list since last summer, and I finally started working on it a month ago. I love the shredded tofu in this recipe. Not only is it easier to press the excess liquid out, but it marinates quicker than cubed tofu, plus shredding it gives it more of a meaty appearance.
These jerk tofu tacos are meant to be spicy, but you can reduce the amount of habanero peppers if you’d like it more mild. I find the addition of the Mango Avocado Salsa helps cut the heat and balances the tacos out fairly well.
If you’re short on time, or you’re starting to get a bit on the hangry side, a quick 1 hour marinade is suffice, but you can let it sit overnight or up to 24 hours. I don’t find the flavor is impacted too much after only marinating it for an hour.
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup diced Green Onion
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1-2 Habanero Peppers (use ½ if you don't want it too spicy)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced Ginger Root
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp Allspice
- 1 Tbsp dried Thyme
- 1 ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 6 small Tortillas
- Red Cabbage
- Mango Avocado Salsa
- Shred the block of tofu lengthwise using a box grater. It'll look like grated cheese when you're finished. Place the tofu on a clean dish towel, then fold the towel over top of the tofu to completely cover it. Place a book or something weighing 1 or 2 lbs on top for weight to help press the water out. Let the tofu sit for 30-60 minutes.
- While you're pressing the tofu, gather your marinade ingredients. Remove the seeds and white membrane from the habanero peppers. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place your pressed tofu in a container and add the marinade and stir until completely coated. Let marinate for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.
- Place the tofu on a lined baking sheet and cook in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Assemble your tacos by adding a generous amount of tofu, a scoop of salsa and some sliced cabbage for some crunch. You can also warm your tortillas in a pan before assembling the tacos. Enjoy!