Summer is here and that means picnics, eating light, and trying to use the oven as little as possible. Thankfully these tofu tacos fall into all three of those categories.
After about eight years of cooking mostly vegetarian and being appalled by tofu , I think I’ve finally hopped on board the tofu train. Well, I’m almost there. I’m kind of just dangling on the side, holding on with one arm as the train advances full speed ahead.
These tacos are my new favorite (savory) food. They’re light, crunchy, surprisingly filling and they’re loaded with guacamole. The tofu is prepared in the same way as my Jerk Tofu Tacos. I find by shredding the tofu and marinating it, more surface area gets covered, making the tofu more flavorful.
I’ve seen a lot of people cut the tofu into cubes, marinate them, then pulse the cubes in the food processor until it breaks down into a crumbly meal. I find that when using that method, you end up tasting less of the seasoning and get more of a tofu taste. As someone who only kind of likes tofu, that’s not what I want.
If you’re looking for an easy meal to prepare this long weekend, these tacos are the perfect choice. They taste great using regular taco shells as well, and are sure to please meat lovers. Don’t let the length of the ingredient list intimidate you. It looks like a lot, but it’s mostly spices. Happy long weekend!
- 1 package Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice (½ Lime)
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Chili Flakes
- ¼ tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower Oil (or other oil)
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Marinated Tofu from above
- ¾ cup Raw Cashews, soak in water overnight
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce
- Marinate the tofu: Grate the tofu using a box grater. Place the tofu between two dish towels and press out the liquid. You can press down using your hands or place a heavy plate or book on top and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Once you’ve gotten as much moisture out of the tofu as you can, combine all ingredients in a ziploc bag and mix until the tofu is thoroughly covered in the seasoning. Let marinate for at least 1 hour, but overnight is best.
- Cook the taco meat: Saute onion in a medium saucepan in 2 Tbsp of oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Once the onions are translucent, add the marinated tofu and tomato paste and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until you get the consistency you prefer. For a crispy result, cook longer.
- For the cashew cream: Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Assembling the tacos: Wash the romaine, then add about ¼ - ⅓ cup of taco meat, salsa, guacamole, and a drizzle of the cashew cream. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.